Apple Podcasts are since today available on Alexa-enabled Amazon devices in the United States, Amazon and Apple announced today.
To make Apple Podcasts the preferred podcast provider with Alexa, users can set Apple Podcasts as the default podcast provider in the Alexa app. The option is available in Settings, Music & Podcasts, and link/manage new services.
To play a podcast on Echo devices, users have to say:
- “Alexa, play [podcast title] on Apple Podcasts.”
- “Alexa, play [podcast title] from yesterday on Apple Podcasts.”
- “Alexa, skip ahead 30 seconds.”
- “Alexa, play the previous episode. ”
- “Alexa, fast forward 30 seconds.”
According to Amazon, there are over 800,000 shows available on Apple Podcasts. eMarketer estimated that in 2019, 112 million people in the US used a voice assistant at least monthly, up 9.5% from last year, the equivalent to 39.4% of internet users and 33.8% of the total population. eMarketer data also shows that Amazon Echo devices have around 67% market share, while Google has 30%.