Amazon this month announced the Fire HD 8 Kids Edition. The Fire HD 8 Kids Edition is available for pre-order today for $129.99 and starts shipping October 4. It is available in three color options: blue, pink, and yellow. Fire HD 8 Kids Edition tablets are available in a multi-pack option, prices for two Fire HD 8 Kids Edition tablets are $194.98— a saving of $65.
Amazon says that kids want a real tablet, not a toy and Fire HD 8 Kids Edition offers a 8” HD display, 32 GB of storage with up to 400 GB of expandable storage via a microSD card slot, and up to 10 hours of battery life. Fire tablets support up to two adult profiles (accessible with a PIN) and four child profiles that can be customized for each member of the family. It’s similar to the Fire HD 8, launched at the same time this month.
According to Amazon, Fire HD 8 Kids Edition includes a year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, which offers more than 20,000 premium books, videos, Audible books, educational apps, and games that have been curated for age-appropriateness, plus access to tens of thousands of hand-selected websites and web videos and award-winning parental controls—at no additional cost.
Amazon FreeTime Unlimited is also expanding to include over 1,000 kid-friendly Audible books, including popular titles like Peter Pan, Rip Van Winkle, Beauty and the Beast, and Snow Queen. On Fire tablets, parents can also add additional Audible books to their child’s FreeTime profile via the settings on their child’s devices, or remotely via Parent Dashboard. The new Audible books in FreeTime Unlimited will be available on Fire Kids Edition tablets and compatible Fire tablets—coming soon.
Fire HD 8 Kids Edition comes with a kid-proof case available in blue, pink, or yellow, and a two-year worry-free guarantee. Amazon will replace for free in case the kids, for any reason, break the case.
“Fire Kids Edition tablets are built from the ground up to offer the content kids love and the award-winning parental controls parents trust. We’re thrilled that customers have chosen us to be the #1 kids tablet in the U.S. Now, we’re excited to make our best-selling kids tablet even better. The all-new Fire HD 8 Kids Edition offers all the features families love, plus adds kid-friendly Audible books and Spanish language content, and a new FreeTime design that makes it even easier for kids to discover and enjoy new content.”Kurt Beidler, Director of Kids & Family, Amazon
What is included on Fire HD 8 Kids Edition?
- Weekday and weekend settings—parents can set time limits by weekdays and weekends;
- Bedtime—parents can control when FreeTime shuts down for the day and turns back on the next morning;
- Learn First—parents can set daily goals for educational content, and block access to entertainment content until after educational goals are met each day;
- Screen time by category—parents can restrict certain categories, such as apps and games while leaving unlimited time for reading;
- Total screen time—parents can choose a set amount of total screen time per day, after which the tablet will shut down for the day;
- Age filters—parents can adjust settings to tailor the FreeTime experience for each child and ensure the content their kids are viewing is age-appropriate for them;
- Add or remove content—parents can add titles from their own content library into FreeTime, or choose to remove unwanted FreeTime Unlimited content;
- Enable the web browser—parents can choose to enable or disable the kid-friendly web browser within FreeTime.