Taboola announced this week that is cleaning up the native ad network by removing 100,000 URLs from the network. The URLs include prohibited content, according to Taboola´s policy.
“We realized that to solve problems created by humans, you need humans—algorithms aren’t enough. We initiated a robust Content Policy department of 30 people that constantly reviews our entire network and is monitoring over a million new pieces of content a month, and our goal is to grow that team 50% in 2018,” wrote Adam Singolda, Founder & CEO of Taboola.
Here the guidelines of Taboola policy:
- You must not promote anything that is related to sexual products or services.
- You must not promote anything that is pornographic, sexually suggestive, or that contains nudity. Similarly, content may not give the impression of nudity (even if on closer examination, it does not actually contain nudity).
- You must not promote anything that is hateful, discriminatory, abusive, intolerant, or exploitative.
- You must not promote anything that is obscene or offensive.
- You must not promote anything with excessive profanity or offensive language.
- You must not promote anything that harasses, threatens, incites hatred, fear, or violence, or depicts physical harm.
- You must not promote any content about harm to children.
- You must not promote anything that has a significant risk of being dangerous.
- You must not promote anything that promotes dangerous, violent, or harmful behavior or that we feel may otherwise cause harm to our users for any reason.
- You must not use thumbnails that contain a gun or other weapon aimed at the user, or that point to the left or right ).
- You must not promote anything that promises to diagnose, cure, prevent, treat, or reverse any disease, condition, or illness.
- You must not promote anything that has a significant risk of being fraudulent or a scam that may cause harm to users, or that is designed to enable illegal or dishonest behavior.
- You must not promote anything that promotes illegal activity or has a significant risk of being illegal.
- You must not promote the sale of counterfeit goods. Counterfeit goods contain a trademark or logo that is identical to or substantially indistinguishable from another company’s trademark in an attempt to pass the product off as that of the brand owner.
- You must not promote cryptocurrency or any related products or services.
Taboola is one of the biggest native ad networks, reaching 1 billion unique users every month. In 2016, Taboola bought ConvertMedia, launching outstream video in their network.