Google yesterday announced changes to its Display & Video 360 platform to enhance advertiser transparency and give users greater control over their ad experience.
These changes include a rebranding of the OBA compliance setting to Ad badging, transparency, and reporting, as well as the expansion of Google's About this Ad feature to all ad formats.
- OBA Compliance Setting Renamed: The OBA compliance setting will be renamed to Ad badging, transparency, and reporting to better reflect the expanded scope of this feature.
- Default Opt-In for New Advertisers: By default, all new advertisers will be opted in to Ad badging, transparency, and reporting. This will ensure that all advertisers meet the latest regulatory requirements and provide users with the transparency they deserve.
- Expansion of About this Ad Feature: The About this Ad feature will now be available for all ad formats, including video and audio. This will give users more information about the ads they are seeing and enable them to report illegal content.
- Enhanced Information in Advertiser and Partner Settings: More detailed information about the Ad badging, transparency, and reporting feature will be included in the Basic details page of advertiser and partner settings. This information will include the compliance requirements for opting out of the feature.
- Opt-Out Option for Existing Advertisers: Advertisers who are currently opted out of OBA compliance will be notified in early February that they need to review the updated regulatory requirements and confirm that their compliance solution meets them. If they do not take action by February 12, 2024, their advertiser will be opted in to Ad badging, transparency, and reporting.
- Temporary Partner Level Opt Out: For partners who are using an alternative compliance solution, a temporary opt out option will be available until February 12, 2024. Partners can opt out of the About this Ad feature at the partner level, which will automatically opt out all advertisers under that partner.
Benefits for Advertisers and Users
These updates will benefit both advertisers and users in several ways:
- Advertisers: Advertisers will gain access to a more transparent and compliant platform, which will help them build trust with users.
- Users: Users will have more control over their ad experience and will be able to learn more about the ads they are seeing and report illegal content.
How to Check if You're Opted In or Out
You can check if you are opted in to the About this Ad feature by following these steps:
- Go to Display & Video 360.
- Open your advertiser or partner.
- In the left menu, click Advertiser settings or Partner settings.
- Then, click Basic details.
- Under Authorizations, find Ad badging, transparency, and reporting.
- If it is checked, you are opted in.
- If it is not checked, you are opted out.