The Australian Association of National Advertisers (AANA), Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) and Media Federation of Australia (MFA) have released a set of digital working practices to support advertisers, agencies, publishers and digital platforms.
According to AANA John Broome, the Australian Digital Advertising Practices, released on July 31, offer practical guidance for marketers seeking to drive effective and efficient digital ad investments.
“With the continued growth of people accessing digital media as well as the corresponding increase in digital ad investment, these practices provide a set of clear and practical and usable solutions that are flexible enough to fit individual advertiser and partner needs,” said Gai Le Roy, IAB CEO.
The Australian Digital Advertising Practices are based on five key operating principles;
- Champion the consumer experience. A better user experience will not only lift key quality metrics but also overall campaign effectiveness.
- Educate to inspire change. Inspire change through best practice education, communication and a clear understanding of the metrics. We cannot force or mandate change.
- Shared ownership & responsibility. No one part of the value chain can deliver the goal without the other parts. Shared ownership and shared responsibility are required to solve the issues. All participants in the value chain need to take responsibility for their own knowledge and understanding.
- Every value chain is unique. Each advertiser’s needs are different. The approach to improving the value chain needs to be optimised for each advertiser’s needs and partner arrangements. The advertiser is accountable for their individual value chain.
- Fair value for outcomes delivered. Value is created through quality and price. Adopting best practices to deliver better outcomes may cost more.
The Boards of the AANA, IAB and MFA have collectively endorsed the Australian Digital Advertising Practices. The three organisations plan to update the Australian Digital Advertising Practices on an annual basis.
Here an example of a table on the Australian Digital Advertising Practices, explaining the role of each platform in programmatic: