Like PPC Land? Subscribe our free email newsletter. Follow us in Google News, in Twitter or in Apple News.
IAB Europe presented this week a new technical standard to support the digital advertising ecosystem in meeting requirements relating to user consent under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
GDPR will enter into application in May 2018. The technical mechanism is designed to enable websites, advertisers and their ad technology partners to make more robust disclosures, as well as obtain, record and update consumers’ consent for their personal data to be processed in line with the GDPR. Moreover, the mechanism enables transmission of user consent choices to the supply chain, increasing accountability in the advertising ecosystem by enabling the creation of consent records and an audit trail.
Key features include:
- Works on mobile devices and desktop devices alike.
- Enables dynamic disclosure by first parties of third party advertising partners and the purposes for which they collect and process data.
- Allows obtaining “global” or “service-specific” affirmative consent, as well as updating consent choices and withdrawing consent.
- Enables the transmission of user consent choices to third party advertising partners.
- Increases accountability in the advertising ecosystem by enabling the creation of consent records and an audit trail.
- Can be deployed before the date of application of the GDPR.
Companies relying on the future mechanism will have to adhere to principles and criteria that will be developed in consultation with brands, agencies, websites, publishers and tech companies. These principles will contribute to greater mutual reassurance and trust between all ecosystem participants.
IAB Europe is inviting broader industry engagement over the coming months with a view to building cross-industry consensus and commitment to the standard, the principles around its use, its implementation, and the governance underpinning the tool.
Supporters of the Advertising Consent includes Taboola, Tactic, SpotX, Sizmek, Quantcas, Mediamath, IAS, Index Exchange, DemandBase, Dataxu, ComScore, Captify, AppNexus and AdRoll.