Google Analytics 4 (GA4) yesterday announced the introduction of new dimensions to its audience builder, segment builder, custom reports builder, and Data API, enabling advertisers to measure and activate using both predefined and custom item-scoped dimensions.
Predefined Item-Scoped Dimensions
GA4 now includes a set of predefined item-scoped dimensions, providing readily available data points for audience targeting. These dimensions include:
- Item ID: Uniquely identifies a product
- Item name: Product name
- Item brand: Product brand
- Item variant: Product variant, such as size or color
- Item affiliation: Indicates which product category the item belongs to
- Item category: Product category
- Item category 2: Second-level product category
- Item category 3: Third-level product category
- Item category 4: Fourth-level product category
- Item category 5: Fifth-level product category
- Item promotion name: Name of the product promotion
- Item promotion creative slot: Location of the product promotion creative
- Item promotion creative name: Name of the product promotion creative
- Item list ID: Uniquely identifies a product list
- Item list name: Product list name
- Item list position: Position of the item within the product list
- Item location ID: Uniquely identifies the product location
Custom Item-Scoped Dimensions
In addition to predefined dimensions, GA4 allows the creation of custom item-scoped dimensions. This flexibility enables advertisers to track and analyze specific product attributes that are relevant to their business needs. Custom item-scoped dimensions can be defined using event parameters.
Benefits of Item-Scoped Dimensions
- Enhanced audience targeting: Businesses can create more granular and effective audience segments based on product-level data.
- Deeper customer insights: Businesses can gain a deeper understanding of customer behavior and preferences at the product level.
- Improved personalization: Businesses can personalize marketing campaigns and product recommendations based on individual customer preferences.