Like PPC Land? Subscribe our free email newsletter. Follow us in Google News, in Twitter or in Apple News.
The Walt Disney Company today said that is acquiring most of the assets of 21st Century Fox, a deal of 52.4 Billion in stock, signed between Robert A. Iger (Disney) and Rupert Murdoch (21st Century Fox).
This is a giant step from Disney in OTT, becoming a direct competitor of Netflix, Amazon, and potentially of Google and Apple, with a presence in Europe (via Sky), in India (via Star) and in USA (via Hulu).
What is included in the deal? See here the Disney Fox Deal breakdown:
- Popular entertainment properties including X-Men, Avatar, The Simpsons, FX Networks and National Geographic to join Disney’s portfolio;
- Transaction to include 21st Century Fox’s film and television studios, cable entertainment networks, and international TV businesses;
- Expands Disney’s direct-to-consumer offerings with addition of 21st Century Fox’s entertainment content, capabilities in the Americas, Europe, and Asia; Hulu stake becomes a controlling interest;
- Addition of extensive international properties, including Star in India and Fox’s 39% ownership of Sky across Europe (23 million households), enhances Disney’s position as a truly global entertainment company with world-class offerings in key regions;
- Fox Networks International, with more than 350 channels in 170 countries;
Disney is going global, doing more B2C instead of B2B, and going tech having OTT platforms. Afterall, the deal is all about streaming, international scale, and content production.