OTT: One of the biggest deals just happened today between Disney and Fox
The Walt Disney Company today said that is acquiring most of the assets of 21st Century Fox, a deal of 52.4 Billion in stock, signed between Robert A. Iger (Disney) and Rupert Murdoch (21st Century Fox).
This is a giant step from Disney in OTT, becoming a direct competitor of Netflix, Amazon, and potentially of Google and Apple, with a presence in Europe (via Sky), in India (via Star) and in USA (via Hulu).
What is included in the deal? See here the Disney Fox Deal breakdown:
- Popular entertainment properties including X-Men, Avatar, The Simpsons, FX Networks and National Geographic to join Disney’s portfolio;
- Transaction to include 21st Century Fox’s film and television studios, cable entertainment networks, and international TV businesses;
- Expands Disney’s direct-to-consumer offerings with addition of 21st Century Fox’s entertainment content, capabilities in the Americas, Europe, and Asia; Hulu stake becomes a controlling interest;
- Addition of extensive international properties, including Star in India and Fox’s 39% ownership of Sky across Europe (23 million households), enhances Disney’s position as a truly global entertainment company with world-class offerings in key regions;
- Fox Networks International, with more than 350 channels in 170 countries;
Disney is going global, doing more B2C instead of B2B, and going tech having OTT platforms. Afterall, the deal is all about streaming, international scale, and content production.